2021-2022 SCHOOL CHOICE
Lenox Public Schools will be admitting School Choice students in Grades K, 5, 6, and 9 for the 2021-22 school year. Applications will be accepted for all grades, in case openings occur in other grades as well before the start of the 2021-22 school year.
The Lenox Public Schools admit non-resident students residing in Massachusetts in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 76: Section 12, otherwise known as the “School Choice Law.” All decisions and judgments concerning all aspects of admissions, eligibility and continued attendance in the Lenox Public Schools are the complete and sole responsibility of the Superintendent of Schools. To be considered eligible for admission, four conditions must be met:
(1) We must have space available in the particular school, grade level, and program for which you have applied. Each year, the school Principal will declare how many seats in each grade level are available for School Choice;
(2) You must have a demonstrated record of good behavior and citizenship in your previous school(s);
(3) You must complete the application process;
(4) You must submit the completed application prior to the stated deadlines. Postmarked dates on stamps will be official documentation. If you hand deliver the application, a date stamp will be placed on your application.
Once an applicant is eligible for admission, the application is considered during one of two application rounds or during a rolling admission process depending upon the date of application. Students applying in the first round have priority over those applying in the second, and those applying in the second round have priority over those in the rolling admission. Within rounds, eligible students will be selected randomly. Applicants with currently enrolled siblings have priority over other applicants (as per state law).
NOTE: Applications are valid for one school year and are not carried over to the next school year.
Non-discrimination and equal opportunity are the policy of the Lenox Public Schools in all of its educational programs, activities, and employment practices. No person shall be excluded from or discriminated from participation or workplace advancement on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, limited English proficiency, housing status, or disability.
Lenox Memorial Middle & High School
- For each school year, the application deadline for the first round of School Choice is January 31. First round admission decisions will be mailed no later than March 15.You must submit a signed enrollment agreement no later than April 15 to reserve your first round selection.
- The application deadline for the second round is April 15. Second round admission decisions will be mailed no later than July 15. You must submit a signed enrollment agreement no later than July 25 to reserve your second round selection.
- Applications received after April 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Rolling admission decisions on applications received between April 15 and June 30 will be mailed on or before July 30.
- Decisions on applications received after June 30 will be mailed within 30 days from the receipt of a completed application.
You must submit a signed enrollment agreement within 5 days of the acceptance date to reserve your rolling admission selection. Normally, students must begin school within 5 days from the start of a new school year or on the first day of either the second or third quarter marking period. In any case, students will not be admitted after the start of the second semester (third quarter.)
MORRIS Elementary School
- The application deadline for the first round is April 15 of the current year for school choice enrollment for the next school year. First round admission decisions will be mailed no later than May 15. You must submit a signed enrollment agreement no later than May 25.
- Applications received after April 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Rolling admission decisions on applications received between April 15 and July 15 will be mailed on or before July 30. You must submit a signed enrollment agreement no later than August 10.
- Decisions on applications received after July 15 will be mailed within 30 days from the receipt of a completed application.
Checklist of steps for application:
- Complete an application and return it to the Superintendent’s Office (6 Walker Street, Lenox);
- Read the specific School Student Handbook (on our school website: www.lenoxps.org);
- After receiving notice of acceptance, sign the Enrollment Agreement Form and return to the Supt. Office by the required date (those not returned by deadlines will forfeit their selection);
- Schedule an interview with one of the school counselors by calling the specific school.
Non-resident students are eligible for all academic and support services and all school clubs, plays and other extra-curricular activities on an equal basis with resident students. Eligibility for interscholastic athletic competition is determined by the rules of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association.
All students must adhere to the rules and regulations of the Lenox Public Schools. Non-resident students are responsible for all transportation to and from school, including that caused by serving detention or attending any other after or before school activity. Non-resident students who withdraw from the Lenox Public Schools for any reason must reapply under the school choice program if they subsequently wish to re-enroll as a student in the Lenox Public Schools.
Non-resident students who fail to demonstrate good behavior and citizenship will not be accepted to Lenox the following year. The parent(s)/legal guardian of a student not accepted to Lenox the following year will be notified no later than July 1.