Pictured above are William Carroll and Ella King competing members of the LMMHS Robotics Team Enginuity. Team Enginuity, and two Saint Joseph’s teams were at the qualifier along with 19 other teams. All teams competed in 5 rounds. At the conclusion of 27 rounds, Team Enginuity was in second place making them Second Alliance Captain for the final rounds. Team MC2 from St. Joe also competed in the elimination rounds as a 4th team second pick. At the end of the day, Team Enginuity finished in the final round, was awarded the PTC Design Award and was one of four teams selected for the State Competition in March.
PTC Design Award Industrial design at its best. This judged award recognizes design elements of the robot that are both functional and aesthetic. All successful robots have innovative design aspects; however, the PTC Design Award is presented to teams that incorporate industrial design elements into their solution. These design elements could simplify the robot’s appearance by giving it a clean look, be decorative in nature, or otherwise express the creativity of the team. The winning design should not compromise the practical operation of the robots but complement its purpose.
This award is sponsored by Parametric Technology Corporation (PTC), developers of the CAD tools, Creo and Mathcad. PTC gives licenses to the FTC student teams for these software products to help them with their designs.
Required criteria for the PTC Design Award:
- Team must demonstrate respect and Gracious Professionalism toward everyone they encounter at an FTC event.
- Team must submit an Engineering Notebook with an Engineering Section that includes detailed robot design drawings.
- Team demonstrates industrial design principles, striking a balance between form, function, and aesthetics.
- Robot differentiates itself from others by its aesthetic and functional design.
- Basis for the design is well considered (i.e. inspiration, function, etc.).
- Use of PTC’s Creo is not required to be eligible; however, teams that use them in their design are given extra consideration for this award.