Lenox Public School Parents and Guardians:
I wanted to send out another reminder regarding required physical exams and immunization documentation for schools. Physical and immunization updates are not only a State requirement but also a school requirement. These mandates are required for all students enrolled, regardless of in-school, hybrid or remote learning mode.
- All students enrolled in Lenox Public Schools are required to get a flu vaccine before December 31, 2020. The State is surveying the schools for compliance to this mandate.
- Current K and 4th grade students, must submit a current updated physical exam and immunization record, as soon as an appointment is possible.
- Current 7th and 11th graders, must submit a current updated physical exam and immunization record, as soon as an appointment is possible.
- Students participating in sports, the physical exam must be current, within the past year and preferred in-person exam rather than telehealth. Local walk-in clinics are often the best option if your provider is booking months out. Students my not tryout or participate in competitive athletics without a current physical per MIAA regulations.
Immunizations remain a requirement for the 2020-2021 school year. Please be aware that there are several new requirements for the 2020-2021 school year. These new additions may require students to have additional medical appointments, beyond their annual physical exam. Please see the following link for complete immunization requirements for Massachusetts students: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/school-immunizations#school-and-camp-requirements-
New Vaccine Requirements for this year, 2020-2021:
- ALL STUDENTS are required to have a 2020 Flu Vaccine.
- Please see Immunization requirements above for Preschool and Kindergarten students.
- 7th graders are required to have 1 dose of MenACWY (precious Meningococcal B vaccine does not meet this requirement).
- 11th graders are required to have either have 1 dose of MenACWY, ON OR AFTER THE 16th birthday, or are required to have a second dose for 11th
- Those with MEDICAL or RELIGIOUS immunizations are REQUIRED to submit documentation ANNUALLY. Families may submit a personal statement or complete the Immunization Exemption Form found under the Health Services tab on the school’s website.
If your student has an Anaphylactic Allergy or Asthma, please provide an updated 2020-2021 Emergency Action Plan, as well as medications to be stored in the Health Office. Remember that all medications were returned to you in spring. Thank you to those families who have already sent in Epipens and Inhalers for their students.
We hope you continue to keep yourselves healthy through physical distancing, hand washing, and wearing a mask in public. If you must travel or gather during the upcoming holidays, please follow State Covid-19 guidelines. If traveling out of state, Covid-19 testing or quarantining for 14 days upon returning from travel is expected. If you do travel, please inform the school of your student’s plan for post-travel, testing or quarantining, as teachers will need to prepare students for remote learning if quarantining for 14 days.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our community healthy and our schools open.
Health and happiness,
Jen Drees, BSN RN NCSN – LMMHS
Kathleen Shove, BSN RN – Morris Elementary