Lenox Public School Parents and Guardians:
Today I received, and wanted to share with families, several new directives from the Director of School Health Services, the Department of Public Health. Please know that preventative health remains a priority at school; however, given the current public health emergency, there have been several changes to our school health guidelines. These mandates are required for all students enrolled, regardless of in-school, hybrid or remote learning mode.
- For ENTERING students, those new students to Lenox Public Schools (entering Preschool, Kindergarten or any other grade) physical exams should be conducted one year prior to or within 90 days of the start of school.
- Current 7th grade students, the exam should be conducted within one year prior to or within 120 days of the start of school.
- Current 4th and 11th graders, the exam may be conducted up to two years before or within 120 days of the start of school.
- Students participating in sports, the physical exam must be current, within the past year and preferred in-person exam rather than telehealth. Students my not participate in competitive athletics without a current physical.
Immunizations remain a requirement for the 2020-2021 school year; however, public health is allowing for a 60 day extension from the start of school. Please be aware that there are several new requirements for the 2020-2021 school year. These new additions may require students to have additional medical appointments, beyond their annual physical exam. Please see the following link for complete immunization requirements for Massachusetts students: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/school-immunizations#school-and-camp-requirements-
New Vaccine Requirements for this year, 2020-2021:
- ALL STUDENTS are required to have a 2020 Flu Vaccine.
- 7th graders are required to have 1 dose of MenACWY (precious Meningococcal B vaccine does not meet this requirement).
- 11th graders are required to have either have 1 dose of MenACWY, ON OR AFTER THE 16th birthday, or are required to have a second dose for 11th
- Those with MEDICAL or RELIGIOUS immunizations are REQUIRED to submit documentation ANNUALLY. Families may submit a personal statement or complete the Immunization Exemption Form found under the Health Services tab on the school’s website.
We hope you continue to keep yourselves healthy through physical distancing, hand washing, and wearing a mask in public. We look forward to providing support, education and guidance as we look forward to reengaging with our students and families.
Health and happiness,
Jen Drees, BSN RN NCSN – LMMHS
Kathleen Shove, BSN RN – Morris Elementary